PITTSBURGH— The Allegheny Regional Asset District today released a 2015 preliminary budget totaling $93.7, an increase from the current budget of $91.2 million. The plan includes recommendations for 108 separate grants to 89 government and nonprofit organizations. The spending plan was outlined to the District’s Board and the public in a report from the Board’s Allocations Committee.
Among the recommendations included in the plan are:
- increased operating grants to 36 of the region’s cultural and recreational assets;
- $891,000 in increased support for libraries including a 6.5% increase for operation of the recently enhanced computer network that links all citizens to the collections in 72 locations around the county;
- funding $2.1 million in new capital projects in our regional parks and trails;
- $1.1 million in capital grants for major projects at the Zoo, Phipps and Aviary along with capital grants to 10 other assets for infrastructure repairs and equipment replacement;
- a $250,000 allocation for special projects including enhancements to accessibility and asset collaborations;
- providing a $3 million match for $30 million in state funds critical to maintain local transit service.
The report said that the Committee is estimating 2015 tax revenue at $90 million. County sales tax fund is now 5.2% ahead of the same time last year mostly as a result of significant auto sales activity.
“Sales tax growth this year is both stronger than average and stronger than expected,” the Committee noted. “While we do not forecast this level of growth to sustain over time, we are taking advantage of this opportunity to make investments in the needs of the assets. We will reexamine the revenue projection during consideration of the final budget and recommend adjustments accordingly.”
Additional information about the budget is available by visiting the District’s web page at radworkshere.org or by calling 412-227-1900. A public hearing is scheduled for Monday, October 27, 2014 from 3:00 to 5:00 PM in the Gold Room, 4th Floor of the Allegheny County Courthouse, Grant Street in Pittsburgh. Persons wishing to speak at this meeting must register with the District at 412-227-1900 by no later than 10:30 AM on Monday, October 27, 2014.
Written comments may be sent to the District Office at 425 Sixth Avenue, Suite 1610, Pittsburgh PA 15219 or may be e mailed to email@example.com.
Read the full release, including the list of proposed allocations (in pdf). The complete budget document is also available to view (in pdf).